Trees and Shrubs -December
- Fresh mulch can be applied around trees and shrubs to create a nice tidy landscape
- appearance, however do not mulch too thickly as it may prevent proper penetration of rain; do not pile mulch around the base of trees and shrubs.
- Water new plantings and evergreen plants if the weather has been dry. Moist soil holds more heat than dry soil; watering before a cold spell can help plants make it through cold spells with less damage.
- Shrubs in our area that are in bloom or have interesting fruit, bark or foliage during this month include:
- Aucuba japonica Spotted Laurel
- Chimonanthus Wintersweet
- Pyracantha coccinea Scarlet Firethorn
- Ilex Holly