Brought to you by Extension Master Gardener sm Volunteers of Chatham County, NC
Trees and Shrubs – September
- The end of summer is typically the driest time of the year, unless tropical systems pass our way. Continue to water newly planted trees when there is insufficient rain.
- Established trees and shrubs should only be watered during dry periods.
- Leaf spot diseases may develop on trees and shrubs this time of year especially during wet weather. These diseases rarely need to be treated and are not harmful to the health of most plants.
- Learn more about leaf spot diseases
- Shrubs in our area that are in bloom or have interesting fruit, bark or foliage during this month include:
- Callicarpa Beautyberry
- Hibiscus Rose Mallow, Rose-of-sharon
- Abelia Abelia